DIY Pumpkin Spiced Latte


Everyone is going nuts for the Pumpkin Spiced Latte at Starbucks at the moment. Something about it just screams "Fall" to me and it helps make the tranition from tha last days of summer into cooler weather a little more bearable. But as much as I love it, I almost never order one at Starbucks – a tall costs nearly 5 euros and while I couldn't find the actual ingredients listed online, I'm pretty sure that it's full of additives and corn syrup... Since we always have pumpkin in the house (thanks to in-laws with an amazing veggie garden + a pumpkin-loving baby) it seemed like the perfect opportunity to make my own. I loosely based my recipe on a version found over at A Beautiful Mess


  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice (although if you have pumpkin pie spices, they would work here too)
  • a couple cloves
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree

Combine all the ingredients in a small pot on the stove and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Continue stirring over a low heat for around 5 minutes, not letting the syrup boil. Strain the syrup and store in an air-tight container in the fridge. To serve I add 1 tablespoon to my espresso before I add the steamed milk to my cappuccino. If you like your coffee on the sweeter side, add another tablespoon. (It's important not to let the mixture boil, I ignored this step in my first batch and the syrup was much too thick, making it difficult to strain afterwards...)


The hardest part has been not drinking three of these in a day, definitely much more tempting knowing that the syrup is sitting in my fridge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment