TRY ONE NEW THING | OIL PULLING


Lately my pinterest and facebook feed seems to be full of oil pulling converts. It's an Ayuvedic technique that's been around for centuries that removes bacteria from your mouth, gums and teeth and whitens teeth without any harsh bleaching chemicals.

I've been oil pulling for about two weeks now and I definitely have to say that my mouth definitely feels much cleaner for longer after oil pulling, more so than just with teeth brushing alone. I use coconut oil, which has anti-bacterial properties, but it also works with olive or sesame oil. I like to heat the coconut oil first, since it makes me gag a bit in solid form (you've been warned!).

All you need to do is swish the oil around in your mouth like mouthwash for 20 minutes. 20 minutes seems like an eternity at first, but after a while it became part of my morning routine and I hardly notice any more. I like to do it when I'm in the shower in the morning and while I'm drying my hair. After the 20 minutes are up, spit the oil in the trash (or else the coconut oil will harden and clog your drain!) and brush your teeth as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment